Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Socratic Seminar: The Right to Our Own Opinion

I think today's seminar went well but could have gone better. It was our first so I think I have to be a little more warming to how little discussion we really had. I did learn something about how I feel about this topic though: it's a duesy. Whenever someone makes a point that I like, I agree with them. Yet when another person makes the complete opposite point and rejects what the other is saying, I also agree with them as well.

It's true that we don't have the RIGHT to our opinions because we can be wrong and the facts are right. Yet stating something about yourself like, "I like purple", (mentioned today) is also a fact because it is right. It doesn't matter whether someone disagrees with you. It's not wrong is it?

I really can't make up my mind! But I think that's what this discussion and this specific topic is about: there's no agreement on the subject. Just like any other topic out there such as religion and politics.

A big chunk of the discussion today was about how we should give in to other's opinions because you may know they're right and it makes you stronger. But another person said to do the exact opposite and fight. The thing is(and I would have liked to say this) is that that's how the world is. Not all people are going to back down because they are wrong and end the conflict that easily. It would be nice if everyone did, but they don't! And you can't CAN'T change that! It's like those ditsy pageant girls prancing around screaming, "WORLD PEACE!". We all want it, but it's most likely not going to happen. I really wish I was more positive but it's the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment