Tuesday, October 23, 2012

To Facebook or Not to Facebook?

I LOVE Facebook. I mean, what typical teenager doesn't? Honestly though.... The thing about Facebook is that it gives me something to do when I'm extremely bored. Which is a lot of the time. I can sit on it for hours and every few minutes or so someone will post something to my news feed so there's always something new going on. Whether it's a picture, a post, etc., there's always a new change of "scenery". The benefits are the straight-forward answers everyone will always give you. Like how it is a perfect way to stay in touch with people. This is 100% completely true and I fully agree. If I didn't have Facebook, I most likely wouldn't talk to half my relatives. This is a terrible thing to say, but it's true. It gives us a chance to not only communicate through direct talk, but see what one another is up to through recent pictures and posts and such.

 Some risks for using Facebook is that it gives other sites a chance to see what you do on Facebook and track what are you're likes and dislikes that way they can send you piles upon piles of popups and such. This IS a tragedy. Because, honestly, who likes popups?! They suck. Also, this concept is extremely dangerous. I know that I don't want my personal information floating around the internet for anyone to access.

Reading this article and discussing this in class definitely helped me become more aware of what I do exactly when I'm on the internet. Before I really knew anything about this, I had no idea that this kind of thing could actually happen. I now think that the internet, which unfortunately includes Facebook, can be a harmful tool. This is a serious matter, but I feel like most people out there in the world, mostly the ones using the internet the most, don't actually know what's going on here. As did I before I knew anything about this at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment